Thursday, June 21, 2012

Unicorns Exist

Snow White analysis pending...sorry.

So, from our cousins in the LDS church branch of Christianity, we find there is a "mixed-orientation marriage" that is working. Over at The Weed there is a viral post about, well, a member of the LDS who has "come out" to his readership that he is a gay man. Heck, click the link. You can read if you're here, most likely.

Does anyone else think the logo for The Unicorn Club is cute (and a little self-consciously gay?...)

The extent of my knowledge about the Church of Latter Day Saints is Big Love, Latter Days, and SisterWives: Read, I have very little firsthand knowledge of the religion itself (well, beyond the really nice guy on a bike who asked me to pray about the book of Mormon. I don't know why, but door to door evangelical preachers bother me more than...Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon Missionaries combined. Multiplied by 5). I don't have sisters so the idea of being a Sister wife really appeals to the side of me that screams:

COMMUNES!

Anyhoo. On the blogosphere, there seem to be reactions ranging from "hell yeah!" to "oh goodness no!". Ex-gay proponents, it is feared, will latch onto this story as proof one can choose heterosexuality without massive emotional, psychological, and spiritual fallout. Others just really admire Weeds' bravery and find this MOM encouraging.

Part of me knows this MOM will be used as a political tool (probably for dastardly reasons). But...I believe in unicorns (because they're everywhere)!

Enter feminism. In Women's Sexuality and Desire, Lisa Diamond explains a longititudinal study on bi and lesbian identified women. She reminds that most of the research on homosexuality (forgive this terminology) is on gay men who tend to have more rigid patterns of desire and arousal. There's is very specific and often fit the standard narrative of: "I knew when I was five. I came out at thirteen or fourteen after great struggle..." Diamond found that women's sexuality was much, much, much, more fluid. Basically, genetic factors are involved, but she posits it often takes situational factors to pull the trigger, so to speak, on the genes. Often, for those with the proclivity, after forming a deep pair bond with another woman, sexual desire can actually develop regardless of gender or sex.

Note: FLUIDITY IS STILL NOT A CHOICE

What does this have to do with The Unicorn Club? My guess is that Josh is not self-deceived, or delusional, or repressed. Sometimes in the discussion of LG vs. straight, the bisexuality on the continuum gets lost. Maybe, Josh fell in love with a woman and...desire followed; his genetic map more "feminine" than most men.

Why do I give Diamond this weight? Because it happened once or twice (or more) to me...

So, while I hope Exodus does not jump all over this (because, well, duh. Reparative therapy is evil...), I'm wondering if (some) men can be this type of fluid too...

Oh yeah: BISEXUALITY ALSO EXISTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment